Raise your hand if you have ever googled “how can I find a work + life balance” or “how do I find a life outside of work?” Maybe you’ve been researching time management skills or planning to hire someone onto your team. Even though I can’t see that hand raised, I have a pretty good feeling that I am not alone in this never-ending quest to be more productive and still have a personal life.
So for April’s quote, let’s try this one:
Sure, there’s tons of advice on the finding your balance.
You can try time blocking on your calendar, focusing on 1-2 hours of deep work, and inbox zero techniques. There’s this concept of closing your computer at 5 pm or using all your vacation days. There are daily timelines, email organization techniques, Trello organization boards, and utilizing no meeting day ideas. There are assistants and interns and colleagues. There are gyms and yoga studios around the corner, and Pinterest boards full of ideas for your next meal prep session.
We can find all kinds of ways to help us stay balanced and find a happy medium.
But ultimately, it all starts with you. If you don’t really use the techniques and Google search results, you are not going to find balance. If you don’t have the resources to make that hire, or buy that software, what’s next? If you don’t try a few new techniques, how will you ever find something that works best for you?
And, if you don’t know what that balance looks likes for you – how can you even find it?
I hope throughout my monthly series, you have been able to figure out what your balance looks like. And if not, it’s time to figure it out.
- Enjoy a fast-paced life?
- Maybe you prefer daily time to spend with friends and loved ones?
- Do you need to alone time – to relax or read or just be?
- Does working out make you more creative, or catching up on the news make you want to pick up a pen and paper or open up your blog?
- Are you wanting to find the newest restaurant, or discover the newest music sensation so you can be the first to tell all your friends?
- What is it that makes you feel accomplished and at peace at the same time?
If you can figure that out, you can create your own balance.