Happy Valentine’s Day, ya’ll! I love Valentine’s – it’s such a heartwarming day 💗 Warmest wishes and much love to you on this special day!
For this month’s balance idea, I want us to focus on big plans vs. results.
Don’t just tell people your plans. Show them the results. Man – hellooooo, truth bomb! You can’t just tell someone that you are a leader, or a marketer, or some social media rockstar guru. People need and want to see it for themselves.
Let your actions define you.
You can’t convince someone that you are a leader by telling them what you are going to do.
- Grab the opportunity, and lead.
- Keep your promises.
- Step up to the plate when someone needs a pinch hitter.
- Volunteer when a colleague needs help.
- Say yes when you actually can.
- Show empathy and ask questions when the situations get uncomfortable.
- Don’t be scared of change.
You can’t pull off a successful event by showing someone your color-coded timeline and organized supply closet.
- Communicate with emails, phone calls and texts.
- Take the time to explain your organization, color coding, and important locations to your team members and volunteers. It’s not helpful to be the only one that knows the answers, or where things are.
- Find other leaders and delegate. You can’t do it all.
- Say thank you to the volunteers and friends that are helping you. (And if you can, make sure you are giving big bear hugs and tell anyone helping you they are appreciated.)
- Tag your participants on your social channels and give them some love.
- Take photos behind the scenes.
You can’t just talk about how successful that PR campaign was for your clients.
- Send weekly, monthly or quarterly updates.
- Be honest.
- Be specific.
- Create a few simple graphics of where you were, and where you are now.
- Prepare a presentation (and make it something you can use more than once).
- Don’t fluff with professional jargon. Be real.
Instead of just talking, show them.
Other updates for you:
- One of our goals for 2017-2018 was to push more membership events, and one was to find a way to officially welcome new members. On January 24, we held our first ever new member & recruitment party and had 18 people in attendance.
- Erin Ingram has big plans for our Image Awards this year, themed Powerfully Told. Watch for more news and ideas coming on this soon!
- We’ve submitted our quarterly report to state. Erin Igram and Stephanie Pettis are headed to Orlando Friday to represent our chapter!
- We held our biggest fundraiser of the year on Dec 8th – Holiday Toast on the Coast. This year’s event raised just over $6,000!
- In January, we offered a 1/2 day intensive workshop for businesses and nonprofit organizations looking for strong guidance with their public outreach and marketing efforts: ER for PR. We featured breakout sessions led by area leaders in innovative marketing strategy and welcomed Lisa Burwell, owner of the Idea Boutique and creator/publisher of VIE Magazine as the keynote speaker. It was an awesome event. Great job, Kate Mikos and Denise Song!
As always, if you ever need anything, please let me know. I hope to see you soon!